- Keshi not happy with strikers’ performance against Tahiti, Ideye likely to start against Uruguay
- Moyes’ first Manchester derby, North London rivalry renewed – See the FULL 2013/2014 EPL fixture list
- United away to Swansea, Mourinho welcomes Hull, Gunners host Villa – See full 2013/2014 EPL opening fixtures
- NGF crisis: You are an embarrassment to Nigerian Labour and your party – Aremu tells Mimiko
- Final report on APC merger ready for submission to parties
- Barcelona keep tabs on Mata after Mourinho blocks Spaniard’s pay rise
- I am here to run PDP and I will continue to do so – Tukur debunks resignation reports
- Save us, security operatives kill students daily – NANS cry out to Jonathan
- Akpabio explains why Amaechi’s suspension has not been lifted
- “JAMB cut-off marks for Nigerian Universities is 180, Polytechnics 150″ – Minister
Super Eagles midfielder Mikel Obi deletes Twitter profile after racist abuse
John Mikel Obi, has taken down his Twitter account, after he became the subject of racial abuse on the social network, 24 hours after his error led to Juventus equalising against Chelsea, in a Champions League group match.
The club initially claimed that it was pure coincidence and that the midfielder was not even aware of any form of abuse. But eventually, they admitted that they had contacted the police over the matter.
“We’ve been made aware of racist tweets targeted at Mikel which are totally unacceptable, disgusting and abhorrent,” the statement read.
“We’ve informed the police and support taking the strongest possible action.”
The whole episode played out, despite the Nigerian apologising for his mistake. The 25-year-old had said after the game, “If I want to make up an excuse, I can. But, for me, I gave the ball away. I put my hands up, we move on.
“I’m sorry about the mistake, but there are no excuses.”
Mikel Obi’s handle used to be @Mikel12Official.