- My two daughters have Masters degrees, but they are still jobless – El-Rufai
- Offa/Erin-Ile crisis: Kwara government ban transport unions
- Anambra stands still for Achebe: Jonathan, world leaders pay glowing tributes
- I have nothing personal against Eggons – Governor Al-Makura
- Federal Government declares May 29 public holiday
- Sambo receives Bakassi report, promises favourable implementation
- DailyPost Football Predict & Win: Bayern Munich vs Borussia Dortmund
- Son hacks father to death in Enugu
- APGA: Appeal Court adjourns case indefinitely
- Residents heave sigh of relief as government evacuates corpses in Borno
“Arsenal is now a feeder club, they can’t win the Champions League” – Former skipper, Tony Adams
Former Arsenal defender and captain, Tony Adams, has said that the club’s policy to keep selling theit star players, will not see them lift the Champions League anytime soon. Adams was expressing his anger at seeing Robin van Persie and Alex Song leave this summer.
“It sends out all the wrong messages for me, being a selling club,” he told the London Evening Standard. “Piece by piece for seven years, it chips away at your credibility. Selling your best players is part of that.
“I very much see Arsenal as the biggest club in the world, so I can’t understand why anybody would want to play anywhere else – but I can understand it was very different for me.
“I am looking at it not as an ex-player or pundit, but as a fan and giving what the fans are thinking and feeling.”
Adams also said that despite the great start the Gunners have began this campaign with, the team’s mentality and style will not see them achieve success.
“The problem for me in the last seven years is the defensive vulnerabilities as a team – the goalkeeper, the back four, even the central midfield players, the mentality of the team,” he remarked. “I don’t think they are a team that are set up to do what Chelsea did last year in the Champions League and I don’t think Arsene wants to.
“Year in, year out the team with the best defence wins the league and we saw the team with the best defence win the Champions League, so it makes you wonder why a lot of teams aren’t focusing more on defending.”
Arsene Wenger’s men kicked off their European campaign with a 2-1 win over French champions, Montpellier. But Adams feels the Ligue 1 club, was not a big competition for the London side.
“I expect them to score goals, but they cannot win the Champions League with their current mentality,” he said. “I hope they prove me wrong, but against the better teams I think they will fall short again. I am not alone here – I think most of the Arsenal fans would agree with me.
“To actually think you are going to play Barcelona or Real Madrid off the pitch…I don’t think this team are good enough to do that.”