- Accusations of obtaining court order against prosecution is baseless – Ifeanyi Ubah
- 2 Arik Air staff caught with cocaine in London
- Minister of Communications asks UN body to sack ex-NCC director for exposing corruption
- Unpaid salaries: Starcomms workers threaten legal action, list demands
- 2015: If Jonathan loses out it’s going to be bullet for bullet – Asari Dokubo
- I have not endorsed anybody for 2015 – Governor Orji
- “It breaks my heart that Kagawa now plays 20 minutes at Manchester United – on the left wing!” – Klopp
- Kroenke gives Wenger green light to smash Arsenal’s wage structure
- 32-year-old man charged with killing brother
- Emenike close to sensational move back to Fenerbahce
Nigerian actor bags jail term for engaging in homosexuality
In November 2011, Nigerian Senate passed a strict law banning same-sex marriage, public display of affection and any form of homosexual acts in Nigeria.
An upcoming Nigerian actor, Mr. Chukwuemeka (surname withheld) was recently caught engaging in Gay practice in his Abuja residence. The Actor was having sexual intercourse with another man through the anus.
Apparently remorseful, the convict, who resides at Gidan Mangoro, in Abuja confessed he was guilty of the charges against him with flimsy reasons after several denials “I am guilty of the charge against me. I was under the influence of alcohol and I want the court to tamper justice with mercy’’, he said.
The police officer in charge of his case, Mohammed Umar, narrated to the court how Chukwuma forcefully penetrated the anus of the man that was lying beside him on same bed “The complainant claimed that sometimes in August, 2011, he was sleeping on same bed with Chukwuemeka when he suddenly started romancing him. Before he could realize what was happening, he had forcefully penetrated his anus.”
The prosecutor also pleaded with the court to try Chukwuemeka immediately; having pleaded guilty to the crime, he had all along refused to admit.
Nafisatu Buba, the chief magistrate, thereby sentenced him to three-month imprisonment without an option of fine.
“This would serve as warning to other youths who hide under the influence of alcohol to commit crimes,’’ she said.
The convict had once pleaded not guilty, with the excuse that he was under the influence of alcohol, “I came back drunk from the night club and thought I was sleeping on the same bed with my girl-friend and I started romancing her.”
After hearing his own side, the court had insisted that such excuses as alcohol should not be taken seriously, as people should stop committing crimes in the name of Alchohol. However, he was granted bail with the sum of N200, 000, two sureties in like sum, with one of the sureties being a civil servant on Grade Level 09.
Meanwhile, the case took another turn yesterday when the actor suddenly pleaded guilty, and the Magistrate instantly tried him, sentencing him to three-month imprisonment.
It will be recalled that Homosexuality acts are not accepted in Nigeria. The bill – Same Sex Marriage (prohibition) bill 2011 – prescribes 14-year jail terms for convicted gays in Nigeria.