- “It breaks my heart that Kagawa now plays 20 minutes at Manchester United – on the left wing!” – Klopp
- Kroenke gives Wenger green light to smash Arsenal’s wage structure
- 32-year-old man charged with killing brother
- Emenike close to sensational move back to Fenerbahce
- Work begins on Fourth Mainland Bridge
- “We’re all delighted!” – Wayne Rooney welcomes second son
- UNILORIN expels 24 students
- Victor Moses, Kalu Uche to miss Nigeria’s World Cup qualifiers, Confederations Cup campaign
- Nigeria must embrace good management practices – Atiku
- Boko Haram offensive: Military deploy more troops in Adamawa
Jonathan vows to withdraw undeserved national honours, how Taraba State Deputy Governor missed out
The Deputy Governor of Taraba State, Sani Abubakar Danladi on Sunday evening lost the opportunity to be decorated with OON national award by President Goodluck Jonathan following a protest from his state.
Daily Post gathered authoritatively that Danladi who had earlier been nominated among the 148 others for the glorious day was withdrawn due to the alleged political crisis rocking the state.
Danladi and his boss, Governor Danbaba Suntai have been having some internal problems , degenerating into serious crisis where the state deputy governor has been served with an impeachment letter for alleged corrupt practices.
The deputy governor whose name was removed from the award’s list yesterday was one of those nominated earlier.
A source close to the Taraba Government House said Governor Danbaba Suntai who was awarded CON yesterday recommended the withdrawal because the deputy governor has been served an impeachment notice by the state House of Assembly on alleged corrupt practices and abuse of office.
A top government source disclosed that “We understand that he (Danladi) was denied the honour on Sunday night as a result of protest from home…You know he is presently at loggerheads with Governor Danbaba Dan Fulani Suntai and the state assembly is even planning to impeach him,”
Also, Chief Press Secretary to the Taraba State governor Hassan Umar Mijinyawa said he was with the governor and would not be able to talk to our correspondent.
Meanwhile, President Goodluck Jonathan has vowed to retrieve honours from undeserved Nigerians whose subsequent actions failed short of the conduct expected of national award honourees.
He spoke at the investiture ceremonies where 149 Nigerians, including five paralympians received different categories of award.
He said he had directed the committee to “compile a list of those unworthy” of award so that such honours will be withdrawn to safeguard the integrity of the award.
His words, “We are convinced that the National Honours Award is a very important part of the symbols of the country’s values and pride. Whilst government is always pleased to admit deserving persons into the ranks of those honoured by Nigeria, all holders must not fall short of our collective expectations. The dignity, honour and respect of the National Honours must never be tarnished.
“In light of the foregoing, I have directed that the National Honours Committee compile a list of persons conferred with the National Honours but that their current credibility is questionable.
“If they are found wanting, our prestigious Honours will be withdrawn. This is essential in ensuring that holders of National Honours are truly worthy representations of our nation, chains of values and honour, and especially are patriotic Nigerians or real friends of our dear land.’’