- Keshi not happy with strikers’ performance against Tahiti, Ideye likely to start against Uruguay
- Moyes’ first Manchester derby, North London rivalry renewed – See the FULL 2013/2014 EPL fixture list
- United away to Swansea, Mourinho welcomes Hull, Gunners host Villa – See full 2013/2014 EPL opening fixtures
- NGF crisis: You are an embarrassment to Nigerian Labour and your party – Aremu tells Mimiko
- Final report on APC merger ready for submission to parties
- Barcelona keep tabs on Mata after Mourinho blocks Spaniard’s pay rise
- I am here to run PDP and I will continue to do so – Tukur debunks resignation reports
- Save us, security operatives kill students daily – NANS cry out to Jonathan
- Akpabio explains why Amaechi’s suspension has not been lifted
- “JAMB cut-off marks for Nigerian Universities is 180, Polytechnics 150″ – Minister
Sokoto government approves N1bn as allowances for foreign students
Sokoto state government has approved the release of one billion five million one hundred and seventy-eight thousand eight hundred and eleven naira only (N1,005,178,811.00) for the payment of allowances to foreign students of Sokoto origin.
This was contained in a statement signed by the Permanent Secretary of the Ministry of Finance, Abdullahi Bala Sokoto, a copy of which was made available to Vanguard on Friday.
According to the statement, “Governor Aliyu Wamakko has approved the immediate release of N1,005,178,811.00 for payments of all outstanding financial commitment of all foreign students, who are under the sponsorship of Sokoto state government in different parts of the world.”
It further stated that “other students studying at different institutions within the country as well those on higher scheme outside the country would be paid accordingly,” adding that the gesture by was aimed at ensuring that the students underwent academic pursuits without hitches.
“We want our children studying home and abroad
to have concentration in a conducive and peaceful academic atmosphere”, the statement read.
Bala Sokoto urged the benefiting students to reciprocate the gesture through hard work in order to achieve academic excellence as justification for the huge expenditure incurred by government.