- Confederations Cup: Neymar’s magic sends Brazil into semi-finals
- Brazil 2014: FIFA confirms dates for final round of qualifying matches for African nations
- Platini admits he is helpless about Monaco’s spending
- Plateau unrest: Don’t communalize criminality, fish out perpetrators without bias – Senator Pwajok
- “I’m still experimenting with my strikers” – Keshi admits he misses Emenike, Moses
- Keshi not happy with strikers’ performance against Tahiti, Ideye likely to start against Uruguay
- Moyes’ first Manchester derby, North London rivalry renewed – See the FULL 2013/2014 EPL fixture list
- United away to Swansea, Mourinho welcomes Hull, Gunners host Villa – See full 2013/2014 EPL opening fixtures
- NGF crisis: You are an embarrassment to Nigerian Labour and your party – Aremu tells Mimiko
- Final report on APC merger ready for submission to parties
Edo Gubernatorial Poll: PDP accuses ACN of buying voter’s cards
Ahead of Saturday’s governorship election in Edo State, the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) has alleged that the Action Congress of Nigeria (ACN) is buying voter’s cards from electorates in Benin city and other parts of the state.
A cheiftain of the party, Fecuns Ezekwere, while addressing reporters at the PDP’s State Secretariat on Sapele Road yesterday said that it was another strategy of the ruling ACN to rig the election.
Ezekwere said: “I want to complain bitterly about what I saw in some part of Benin today (yesterday). I saw ACN members collecting cards from youths.
“I sent some boys to go and check what was happening. They found out that those people were selling cards and collecting money.
“The buyers are still the same people who will go on television to say that the PDP is buying voter cards.
“I want to use this opportunity to call on all Igbos in Benin not to sell their cards. I urge them to come out that day en-masse to vote.”
But, it will be recalled that the state Governor, Adams Oshiomhole had earlier said that the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), at a meeting, confirmed the involvement of the PDP in the purchase.
Oshiomhole, disclosed this in Abuja at the weekend after a meeting of stakeholders convened by INEC.
He said those arrested are facing trial.
“This has shown that INEC is very serious. The chairman, Prof. Attahiru Jega, is doing everything possible to reassure the stakeholders that votes will count.
“He has also established that people are buying voters cards. PDP is buying voter’s cards in Edo State and they are being prosecuted in court.
“We expect that people will get convicted because it is a crime for people to buy voter’s cards.
“The good news is that those who have been caught are already being tried.”