- Keshi not happy with strikers’ performance against Tahiti, Ideye likely to start against Uruguay
- Moyes’ first Manchester derby, North London rivalry renewed – See the FULL 2013/2014 EPL fixture list
- United away to Swansea, Mourinho welcomes Hull, Gunners host Villa – See full 2013/2014 EPL opening fixtures
- NGF crisis: You are an embarrassment to Nigerian Labour and your party – Aremu tells Mimiko
- Final report on APC merger ready for submission to parties
- Barcelona keep tabs on Mata after Mourinho blocks Spaniard’s pay rise
- I am here to run PDP and I will continue to do so – Tukur debunks resignation reports
- Save us, security operatives kill students daily – NANS cry out to Jonathan
- Akpabio explains why Amaechi’s suspension has not been lifted
- “JAMB cut-off marks for Nigerian Universities is 180, Polytechnics 150″ – Minister
Suspected Fulani herdmen kill retired Brigadier-General in Lagos
A retired Brigadier-General, Sylvester K. Iruh,had been reportedly killed by some suspected Fulani herdmen in Lagos State in attempt to snatch his car.
According to a family member who spoke with “Daily Post” but preferred anonymity said the retired army was murdered on Saturday July 7, when he was on his way from a burial in Ilorin, the state Capital of Kwara.
According to the eyewitness, “Iruh on his way from Ilorin, had a flat tyre as he approached the Long Berger Bridge near the cattle market.
“As he attempted to attend with the help of three of his church members in the vehicle, he was alerted by a concerned motorist,an owner of a towing van who plies the road regularly to quickly hop into his car and leave the area as it is a “black spot”, a notorious den of Hausa/Fulani criminal gangs who rob,stab,and kill their victims in cold blood” .
The witness further narrated that on getting the alert from concerned motorists,the retired Army General who hails from. Boji-Boji Owa,near Agbor,in Ika North-East of Delta State,and retired in January 2009,immediately asked other occupants hop into the car so he manage the faulty car out of the”danger zone.”
But before they could drive off, the hoodlums suddenly jumped out of the bush with daggers,bows,arrows and other dangerous weapons demanding money, which the General offered to give to them.
The wife of the slain General, Mrs Iruh who also spoke with “Daily Post” said;”please help me tell both the President Goodluck Jonathan, federal government and Governor of Lagos state government, Babatunde Fashola, and security agencies to clear the place so that more innocent women would not be made young widows.
“They have made me an unexpected young widow. Government should move into the cattle market by the long Berger bridge and save the lives of innocent Nigerians”,Mrs Iruh lamented.
Brig-General Iruh served in his last posting as Commandant Army Records,Lokoja until he was retired along with 11 Genarals and 94 other officers in 2009.