- Ancelotti tells PSG he wants Real Madrid move
- EPL Watch: Arsenal clinch Champions League spot ahead of Spurs, Ferguson bows out after 5-5 thriller
- Chelsea ready to incur £30m loss on sale of Torres
- Our leaders are not in a hurry to fight this corruption – Rev. Onuoha
- To accuse Amaechi of insubordination is rubbish; Jonathan is not his boss – David-West
- Super Eagles player, Yusuf Ayila, discovers charms in his woman’s wardrobe [PHOTOS]
- State of emergency: We’re behind you – Northern governors tell Jonathan
- Patience Jonathan denies meeting with APGA chairman in her bedroom
- Anglican Church holds commendation service for Achebe
- FG may amend terrorism charges against Kabiru Sokoto
Police shut down Kuramo beach for one week
Kuramo beach has been shut down for one week to displace alleged squatters and hoodlums
The Police on Wednesday, announced a closure of the Kuramo Beach on Victoria Island, Lagos, for one week ; to rid it of alleged squatters and hoodlums.
“We are closing down the beach for one week; a team of security agents will continue to raid the beach to rid it of criminals,’’ Adegoke Fayode, the Divisional Police Officer, Victoria Island Station said.
A combined team of police, army, immigration and the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency officials had on July 1, at about 1.00 a.m. raided the beach, arresting some people.
According to Mr. Fayode, management officials of the beach and the local government were included in the team of task force to clear the beach of squatters.
“We are raiding all the cabins on the beach. Anyone who wants to work in the cabins must be known by the security agents.”
“After the exercise, anyone coming to Kuramo beach must feel safe. We do not want criminals to use the beach as a hideout any longer,” the DPO added.
Observations showed officials of Lagos State Government pulling down some illegal structures.
The Secretary of Kuramo Beach Tourism Association, Mchael Onuwafe, said the exercise would help to restore the beach to an international standard.
He noted that the 60 cabins constructed by the government in 1999 for tourists to relax had been defaced, adding that some traders had constructed tents to distort the layout and aesthetics of the beach.
“When it reopens, visitors to the beach will appreciate its facelift,” Onuwafe said