- Son hacks father to death in Enugu
- APGA: Appeal Court adjourns case indefinitely
- Residents heave sigh of relief as government evacuates corpses in Borno
- Ferdinand signs new deal to stay at United
- UEFA announce Berlin as host of 2014/2015 Champions League final
- Man jailed for selling pirated copies of El-Rufai’s book
- Ogun state government uncovers N200m WAEC fees fraud
- “There are 56 million illiterates in Nigeria” – Ezekwesili
- APGA members defect to APC in Anambra
- Rivers political crisis: Police bans public procession
Euro 2020 could be staged in ’12 or 13 countries’ – Platini
The Uefa president Michel Platini has revealed the concept of one or two countries staging major tournaments may be abandoned for Euro 2020.
Turkey had been favourites to host the event but their bid has hit difficulties due to a desire to host the Olympic Games in Istanbul in the same year. And Platini has confirmed a radical alternative is now being considered.
“The Euros in 2020 could be held all over Europe,” said Platini. “It could be either one country and 12 stadiums or one stadium in 12 or 13 cities.”
Platini confirmed a final decision would be taken in January or February next year. “This matter will be discussed very seriously,” he added.
Platini gave further details on his ideas around the 2020 tournament. He said: “We are not going to wait until we know whether Turkey are going to get the Olympics. It creates a problem for us. We do have other candidates. Everyone has the possibility to host it. It is easier to go from London to Paris or Berlin than Cardiff to Gdansk. It would be four games per venue. It is a great debate.”
Platini continued: “We are just thinking about it. I have said 12 or 13 host cities, it could be 24 or 32. We are not at that stage yet. It is the political decision that needs to be made. We wouldn’t have to build stadiums or airports. That could be important in an economic crisis.”
Source: Guardian UK