- Confederations Cup: Neymar’s magic sends Brazil into semi-finals
- Brazil 2014: FIFA confirms dates for final round of qualifying matches for African nations
- Platini admits he is helpless about Monaco’s spending
- Plateau unrest: Don’t communalize criminality, fish out perpetrators without bias – Senator Pwajok
- “I’m still experimenting with my strikers” – Keshi admits he misses Emenike, Moses
- Keshi not happy with strikers’ performance against Tahiti, Ideye likely to start against Uruguay
- Moyes’ first Manchester derby, North London rivalry renewed – See the FULL 2013/2014 EPL fixture list
- United away to Swansea, Mourinho welcomes Hull, Gunners host Villa – See full 2013/2014 EPL opening fixtures
- NGF crisis: You are an embarrassment to Nigerian Labour and your party – Aremu tells Mimiko
- Final report on APC merger ready for submission to parties
Third Mainland Bridge to be closed from July to November for repairs
According to Daily Times’ update on Twitter, “There will be partial closure of 3rd Mainland Bridge, from 1st July till November 6 2012, for repair work.”
The Third Mainland Bridge is the longest of three bridges connecting Lagos Island, Lagos, Nigeria to the mainland, the other two being the Eko and Carter bridges. It is the longest bridge in Africa. The bridge starts from Oworonshoki which is linked to the Apapa-Oshodi express way and Lagos-Ibadan express way, and ends at the Adeniji Adele Interchange on Lagos Island.
There is also a link midway through the bridge that leads to the Herbert Macaulay Way, Yaba. The bridge was built by Julius Berger Nigeria PLC and opened by President Ibrahim Babangida in 1990; it measures about 11.8km in length.
However, there were reports that the Third Mainland Bridge was vibrating, indicating that it needed urgent attention. Remedial work was commenced on the failed portions of the bridge and has been completed.
Recently, there have been rumours of cracks on the bridge. This however has been denied by authorities.
However, it seems they are ready to rectify the situation by closing the bridge for about six months.
Additional info: Wikipedia