- “Real Madrid would be crazy to pay record fee for Bale” – Fabregas
- Galliani tells Allegri to promote Oduamadi to AC Milan’s first team after Tahiti hat-trick
- Governor Jang commends STF for rehabilitating 25 boreholes in crisis prone communities
- PDP crisis: Bamanga Tukur may be sacked on Thursday; Mu’azu, Babayo tipped as successors
- FG, Delta draw battle line on Ibori’s $15m bribe money; to argue suit July 5
- Maku charges Christians to lead campaign against violence; gives indication of 2015 guber ambition
- Opposition governors, PDP counterparts shun Jang NGF meeting
- Odemwingie set to leave West Brom this summer
- Keshi relieved after victory over Tahiti
- Oduamadi grabs hat-trick as Nigeria begins Confederations Cup with emphatic win over Tahiti
Harry Potter wins Best Film at Empire Awards
‘Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows – Part 2′ won the top prize at the Empire Awards 2012 last night (25.03.12).
The final instalment of the wizard franchise took home Best Film and Best Director for David Yates at the event at London’s Grosvenor House Hotel, which saw ‘Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy’ pick up a trio of accolades.
Gary Oldman beat off completion from Daniel Craig, Ryan Gosling, Daniel Radcliffe and Andy Serkis to scoop the Best Actor prize for his role as espionage veteran George Smiley in the movie, which was awarded Best British Film and Best Thriller.
British movies continued to dominate the night with ‘The Inbetweeners’ taking home Best Comedy and Olivia Colman winning Best Actress for her breakthrough performance in 2011 motion picture ‘Tyrannosaur’, while Tom Hiddleston and Felicity Jones were presented with Best Newcomer prizes for ‘Thor’ and ‘Like Crazy’ respectively.
Mark Dinning, Empire magazine’s editor, said: “British movies have ruled the world in the past year, and we are delighted to see them rule the roost here tonight, too.
“The readers of Empire are the smartest academy out there and this year they have picked the very best winners from a terrific 12 months. With the Olympics and Euro 2012 just around the corner, our homegrown movie heroes have tonight kicked off a year we hope is packed with British triumph.”
Gary, Tom, James McAvoy, Danny De Vito and Harry Hill were among the attendees at the event, which was hosted by Lauren Laverne and Empire’s Chris Hewitt.
A full list of winners for the Jameson Empire Awards 2012:
Best Male Newcomer
Tom Hiddleston, ‘Thor’
Best Female Newcomer
Felicity Jones, ‘Like Crazy’
‘The Inbetweeners Movie’
Best Thriller Presented by Café de Paris
‘Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy’
The Art Of 3D Presented by RealD
‘The Adventures of Tintin: The Secret of the Unicorn’
Jameson Best Actor
Gary Oldman, ‘Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy’
Best Actress Presented by Citroën
Olivia Colman, ‘Tyrannosaur’
David Yates, ‘Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows – Part 2′
Best British Film Presented by Sky Movies
‘Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy’
‘Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows – Part 2′
Done in 60 Seconds Award
Best Inspiration Award