- “Real Madrid would be crazy to pay record fee for Bale” – Fabregas
- Galliani tells Allegri to promote Oduamadi to AC Milan’s first team after Tahiti hat-trick
- Governor Jang commends STF for rehabilitating 25 boreholes in crisis prone communities
- PDP crisis: Bamanga Tukur may be sacked on Thursday; Mu’azu, Babayo tipped as successors
- FG, Delta draw battle line on Ibori’s $15m bribe money; to argue suit July 5
- Maku charges Christians to lead campaign against violence; gives indication of 2015 guber ambition
- Opposition governors, PDP counterparts shun Jang NGF meeting
- Odemwingie set to leave West Brom this summer
- Keshi relieved after victory over Tahiti
- Oduamadi grabs hat-trick as Nigeria begins Confederations Cup with emphatic win over Tahiti
We are ready for you-Boko haram tells NLC, TUC
The Boko Haram sects who have claimed responsibility for the spate of killing and bombing in the country since 1999 are yet to be satisfied with the blow done to the country so far as a result of its constant attack on Nigerians and its government.
The extremist had again threatened to bring down the NLC and TUC. It will be recalled that the Kano and Jos massacre all happened after the same warning letter. The threat on the Nigerian Labour Congress and Trade Union Congress is said to be an indication of the group’s dissatisfaction over what it calls poor handling of national issues by suspending the nationwide strike without federal government reverting to 65 naira per litre .
Relatively, NLC has written to the State Security Service (SSS), the Nigeria Police and other security agencies in the country, asking them to beef up security around its offices across the country, following the threat.
The NLC President, Comrade Abdulwaheed Omar, had asserted yesterday that the Labour leadership acted in the best interest of the country in order to forestall any threat to security within and around the country, its premises and other people within its jurisdiction.
Omar said, “We can’t actually tell why such threat could be directed at the Labour, but from the letter the sect sent, it claimed that it was because we could not insist on N65 per liter from the government.
“We had written to the State Security Service (SSS), the police and other security personnel about the situation to ensure enough security at our offices nationwide”.
It would be recalled that, Boko Haram had written a letter to the people of Kano late last year and Malam Ibrahim Shekau, the Head of the sect now believed to be hiding out somewhere in Cameroun wrote an email to the press where he said amongst other things that “The message here is that everybody knows that a lot of our people were killed in Kano State, especially in Wudil town. We had perfected plans to take revenge but some notable scholars intervened by pleading with us.
They also assured that our members would never be persecuted again and we took them by their words. Unfortunately however, about five months ago, security agencies began trailing and arresting our members who are carrying out their legitimate businesses, alleging that they were thieves and armed robbers.
We….. Sent letters to the emir of Kano, Wamban Kano, Dan Masanin Kano and the governor of Kano State. We also posted the open letter on the internet but nothing was done to stop persecution of our members. Recently, security agencies launched a fresh onslaught on some of our members in Kano city in which even women and children were not spared.
Many houses were raided and a pregnant woman was manhandled. Some of our members were tortured with electric shock. All these things happened in Kano, a city that we hold with high esteem. We have varied opinions about Kano, including the option of launching endless campaign of violence but the scholars that have been talking to us over and over are still persuading us to tarry a while.
We are compelled to write this open letter so that the world will know what is happening.”